USCIS my Case Status Does not Recognize the Receipt Number Entered: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a component of United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS), provides digitized services in administration of the country’s naturalization and immigration system. This allows for filing of applications, petitions, requests and checking your case status online.
USCIS my Case Status Does not Recognize the Receipt Number Entered
Table of Contents
It is always anticipated that digitization of services enhances timely service delivery. That, however, is not always the case with all sites. USCIS for example, has persistently registered the complain of “uscis case status does not recognize the receipt number entered”.
Causes of the Error
In filing any application, petition or request with USCIS, the agency will respond by mailing you a Form I-797C. This Notice of Action form, also known as receipt letter, may reach you within approximately 1-3 weeks or even longer.
If you follow the USCIS directions well and complete the form correctly, the receipt letter will indicate that your case has been accepted, meaning the USCIS will be reviewing your case. If you included the wrong payment or incorrectly filled the form, the receipt letter will most probably indicate that the case has been rejected.
The receipt letter contains a unique 13-digit number that helps you track the progress of your case. This is what is commonly known as receipt or case number.
Read More – How To Check NVC Case Status online
There have been complains of delay on the USCIS website with users pointing that the services are taking longer periods than expected.
How to Resolve the Error
- Paying Attention to Details – Nothing will serve best on the USCIS site like following directions carefully and preparing the form correctly. This will favor the form to be readily accepted and pave way for review of your case.
- Call the USCIS Number (800 375 5283) – Since it is hard getting accurate information from the case status online, making a direct call yields a more interactive platform where you can get the on-point feedback and subsequent directions to favor your case status.
- Patience – Since it is common with agency’s online services being slow, as can be witnessed by the several complaints raised by applicants, it would be more realistic when you remain patient until you receive the receipt number in your mail. The system might be slow in updating the information, but if you did everything correctly, it typically takes 10 to 18 days after filing the case.
Filling USCIS Form
A small mistake or giving misinformation while filling the USCIS Forms may lead to rejection of your application, petition or request. You can thus extract ardent caution from the following tips:
- Since USCIS frequently revise their forms, always ensure you use the updated form.
- Avoid use of highlighter or background shade on the forms. Use only black ink.
- Provide complete and accurate information by answering all relevant questions.
- If requested, ensure that all relevant documents or testimonials are attached to the form.
- For names, ensure you use the same version or spelling on all the USCIS forms to evade miscommunication and possible misinterpretation. Such simple mistakes may subsequently lead to rejection of the forms.
- Ascertain you have signed the forms on completion.
As millions of applicants continually use USCIS site, this article may help you avoid the frustration that comes with getting the common message “my case status does not recognize the receipt number entered”.